Sunday, October 25, 2015

Post Blog #G

The first topic that I would like to discuss from the book is, Multicultural Education in the 21st Century Schools. The book refers to multicultural education as how teachers go about adapting to the diversity of students interests, needs, and talents. James Banks promoted the idea of every student, "...regardless their of gender, social class, and ethnic, racial, or cultural characteristics- should have an equal opportunity to learn in school." The chapter suggests the method is intended to expose students to different cultures, while also exposing them to their own history. This way students are able to identify, and relate to individuals with similar experiences, and background. With this method, students can be motivated with the idea, "If he can do it, I can do it too."

The second topic is going to be, Using technology with Linguistically Diverse Learners. The chapter introduces google translator, which I have my mother use. Google translator is an incredible tool that can translate up to 50 languages. My mother use this tool to communicate with her employer. She also uses it to learn certain phrases, or certain commands. Websites are also providing material in a multitude of languages, to service a larger population. 

The final point I will be emphasizing on will be, Electronic Spellers and Dictionaries. I honestly think this tool can be used, and should be used by everyone. I was at Walmart on Friday, and I could not for the life of me, remember how to properly pronounce quinoa. I eventually pulled out my phone and "googled" it. I definitely think this is a powerful tool that is over looked, and under appreciated.

Maloy, R. (n.d.). Transforming learning with new technologies (2nd ed.).

1 comment:

  1. LOL - many don't know how to pronounce quinoa! :) But, yes, the power of computing for many daily activities we take for granted are often overlooked for students with special needs. Fortunately, they are becoming more meaningful with classroom applications. Missing your created digital tool...And remember to properly cite your textbook in APA style (see my blog example)

    ReplyDelete